London’s property market remains, for most, expensive and unpredictable, while the commuter zone has skyrocketed in demand and price. Luckily, home services marketplace, Plentific.com, has found five beautiful villages and family properties which are all within an hour of London and have some impressive local schools. While still pricey, you can achieve much more for your money in these picturesque areas and avoid the busyness of the more popular commuter towns.
Stephen Jury, spokesperson for Plentific, said: “Properties in the commuter zone are climbing quickly in value and are now in higher demand than London. With primary school admissions opening last week and most closing in early February, potential buyers and sellers will need to act fast to meet the deadlines.
Our selected properties are all within the catchment areas for some of the best local schools around and are priced lower than each area’s average property value. This would leave a new homeowner with a budget for home improvements, which would add to each property’s value in the long term.”
A direct and fast train’s journey from London, Harpenden is a small village located in the county of Hertfordshire. Luton Airport is close at hand for flights, as is St Albans for some great shopping and family time in the popular Verulamium Park. This town offers rural areas as well as an array of local bars and restaurants to keep you entertained! Harpenden is also the number one ranked profitable place for a self-build according to a recent survey from Searchfield Homes.
- Average property value: £879,201
- Value change over the last 5 years: +37.14%
- Commuting time per trip: 36 minutes (Harpenden to London)
- Yearly season ticket: £3,620
- Local primary school: Roundwood Primary School (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Local secondary school: St George’s School (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Property for sale: £625,000, 4 bedroom semi-detached house, Springfield Crescent
Located within close proximity to outstanding schools as well as Harpenden train station, the area couldn’t be much more convenient! This property boasts extensive space including a large back garden; despite appearing a little wild, with the help of a gardener this space could easily be transformed to suit children!
CHALFONT ST PETER
Found to the east of High Wycombe, Chalfont St Peter is part of a group of villages known as ‘The Chalfonts’. With the local Gerrard’s Cross train station just over 20 minutes from London Marylebone, this village is as convenient as it is pretty. And for those who love the countryside, Colne Valley Regional Park is just around the corner!
- Average property value: £783,318
- Value change over the last 5 years: +37.91%
- Commuting time per trip: 22 minutes (Gerrards Cross to London Marylebone)
- Yearly season ticket: £2,508
- Local primary school: Chalfont St Peter CofE Academy (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Local secondary school: The Chalfonts Community College (rated Good by Ofsted)
- Property for sale: £649,950, 4 bedroom detached house, Layters Avenue South
This luxurious property is less than a mile from the impressive Chalfont St Peter CofE Academy which, last year, showed 94% of students achieving Level 4 or above when leaving. It comes with a roomy conservatory and open-space back garden and is within walking distance of both schools as well as Goldhill Common park for days out. On top of this, it is only a five minute drive from Garrards Cross station!
Home to the oldest model village in the world, Beaconsfield is one of the greener towns found in the South Bucks district of Buckinghamshire. The High Street is full of period architecture, giving the town a picturesque quality that you would not expect to find so close to London.
- Average property value: £1,094,352
- Value change over the last five years: +27.9%
- Commuting time per trip: 25 minutes (Beaconsfield to London Marylebone)
- Yearly season ticket: £3,016
- Local primary school: St Mary and All Saints CofE Primary School (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Local secondary school: Beaconsfield High School – Girls only (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Property for sale: £575,000, 3 bedroom end of terrace house, Beaconsfield
If you’re looking for only the best of schools for your daughters, then this location is worth your consideration. The Beaconsfield High School for girls received impressive feedback from Ofsted and its students scored ‘well above average’ (top 5% of schools) for progression. Our listed property has a convenient location for commuting to this school and to the local train station, and offers quick and easy access to the M40.
Goffs Oak can be found just outside the M25 in Hertfordshire. This rural village boasts a peaceful and aesthetically pleasing atmosphere that would suit most families. It is also located near the beautiful Lee Valley Regional Park.
- Average property value: £698,916
- Value change over the last five years: +41.84%
- Commuting time per trip: 34 minutes (Cuffley to Moorgate)
- Yearly season ticket: £1,876
- Local primary school: Flamstead End School (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Local secondary school: Goffs School (rated Good by Ofsted)
- Property for sale: £480,000, 4 bedroom semi-detached, West Cheshunt
This property can be found tucked away to the east of Goffs Oak. Living in this area gives you access to the best local schools and offers a short drive to two train stations (Cuffley and Cheshunt) that can take you into Moorgate or Liverpool St. The house itself is light and airy, and has an open expanse of land behind with its own brook!
If you would prefer to live in the south then Hurstpierpoint is worth your attention. Despite being a good distance from the capital, it is still within an hour of London by train and Brighton is close by for more attractions, including the coast!
- Average property value: £533,183
- Value change over the last five years: +35.7%
- Commuting time per trip: 56 minutes (Burgess Hill to London Victoria)
- Yearly season ticket: £3,844
- Local primary school: St Lawrence CofE Primary School (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Local secondary school: St Paul’s Catholic College (rated Outstanding by Ofsted)
- Property for sale: £349,950, 3 bedroom semi-detached house, Trinity Road
Want to give your children the best possible start with education? St. Lawrence CofE Primary School has 95% of students achieving Level 4 or above in reading, writing and maths and has been rated Outstanding by Ofsted. Our chosen property is only a short five minute walk from this impressive primary school and less than five miles to Burgess Hill station. Not to mention the house itself has an idyllic layout and comes with useful additional features including an office, utility store and shed.
For more information, go online at: www.plentific.com